 CAD / MLCad / 66
Re: General Comments to MLCad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:13:28 GMT

Michael Lachmann <m.lachmann@xpoint.at> wrote in message
news:FMzp8A.HGF@lugnet.com...
Since I got various responses and comments since the last version, I will
try to explain some things here and also try to start some sort of interest
collection.

Version 1.6 and custom colors:
It is true that custom colors are not useable for LView or LEdit since the
custom colors are none-compatible extensions to the file format.
When using "custom" or "redefined" colors you have to use MLCad to view the
model.

I will talk to Paul Gyugyi (the author of LDLite) if we could work together
and maybe take over the same settings and features. Where my opinion is • that
LDLite should be a very fast viewer in the future and MLCad should
concentrate more on edit a model than on viewing it.
I believe a interworking version of MLCad and LDLite would have the best
future ... since LDLite could concentate on viewing and maybe introduce
hardware excelleration like DirectX and OpenGL.

However I think it's time to also introduce a new dat format which is not
compatible to the LEdit/LView anymore which could allow to specify • rendering
and viewing options as well as color definitions and other things.

LDLite already does this to a degree with its color, rotate, translate, etc.
commands.  If you allow the user to save as a standard .dat file, and allow
standard .dat files to be imported, I think you can make whatever extensions
you want.  Using a different extension for your file is probably a good idea
since it will make it clear what files are 100% compatable.

-John Van