 CAD / MLCad / 624
623  |  625
Subject:
A few 1.99 bugs and suggestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 06:31:51 GMT

1. When opening a file, if any sub parts are not found (the program alerts to
this and offers a "Yes/No" dialog) and the file is opened anyway, clicking on
the "Unknown" element will cause a Protection Fault Error:
MLCAD caused an exception 10H in module MLCAD.EXE at 017f:0045670c.
Registers:
EAX=00731e72 CS=017f EIP=0045670c EFLGS=00010206
EBX=0049dd04 SS=0187 ESP=0073f348 EBP=0073f354
ECX=d7d7625a DS=0187 ESI=0073f4c4 FS=3397
EDX=6974e718 ES=0187 EDI=03a8fd90 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
d9 6d fe 8b 45 f4 8b 55 f8 c9 c3 56 8b 74 24 08
Stack dump:
6974e718 d7d7625a 12721e72 0073f46c 0043153c 012da174 013a91a8 0049dd60
0073f33c 0049dd60 0073f3e0 d7d7625a 6974e718 d7d7625a 6974e718 d7d7625a

2. I've been working on a fairly large model with a bounding area of around
-3000 to +3000 LDU in all 3 dimensions. Anytime elements are added to an area
that is beyond +-2000LDU, they are not placed correctly. It appears that the
program has some difficulty dealing with these large values and places an
element that should be at -2500 in the area of +1200 instead.

3. During the same large model editing I've had issues with rotations working
correctly. If I choose the "Part Rotation Point" rotation option when trying to
rotate a sub part, the rotation point resets to the origin after the first
click of a rotation button on the toolbar. In other words, if my rotation is
set to move in 45deg increments and I want to rotate a sub part 90deg. I set
the rotation option to use the part rotation point and click the rotate
button. The sub part rotates 45deg correctly about its rotation point, but the
second click (which should take the sub part another 45deg about its rotation
point) instead rotates the sub part about the axis. If I go into the rotation
options, the option is still set to "Part Rotation Point" but it isn't showing
(or rotating) about that point, it has instead moved to the origin and there is
no way I can get it back to the part rotation point.

4. On the "Enter Position & Orientation" dialog box the "Angle" field doesn't
appear to be functional to enter a rotation value. It often reports the angle
that an element has been rotated, but if you want to rotate a piece 88.625
degrees, typing that value into the "Angle" field doesn't appear to have any
effect. The only way I've been able to accomplish some decimal rotations is to
set my default rotation values accordingly and apply the rotations with the
toolbar buttons while in the appropriate grid resolution. I don't know if the
"Angle" field was meant to enter a rotation value, but it would be a great
idea.

5. When creating an .MPD file, the .DAT extension is added to the .MPD filename
when it is saved (so model.mpd is saved as model.mpd.dat).

6. When you select the "Modify Part" option, I'm not sure the "Custom Part"
checkbox is necessary and that the part name field should be enabled/disabled.
It seems that the field can always be enabled and used to type the name of a
part which can be used to quick jump to the part in the partlist or load a part
not availble in the list. Having to click on the "Custom Part" check seems like
a superfluous step.

7. Having the "Modify Part" dialog retain whether your last sort was by part
number or description would be nice. I do all of my browsing in this list by
description, so I have to click the header each time to sort the list
accordingly. Something else that might be an idea, have an option to view the
"Modify Part" list using the same folder configuration that exists on the left
side of the main view window. I know it often takes a while to scroll through
the part list and I miss not being able to simply click one of my custom
folders to get to a part.

8. I noticed that the color dialog only allows for colors up to 255. Since
colors such as chrome, gold and tire rubber are above this, I suggest
supporting up to 512.

Still a great program! It's making my latest project chug along nicely!
Thanks a ton as always Michael!