 CAD / MLCad / 630
Re: A few 1.99 bugs and suggestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 06:26:32 GMT

Hy Jeff,

thank you for the bug - reports, I will go through them soon and correct
them in V2.0 - thanks for your help

Michael

Jeff Boen <onyx@flash.net> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
G4MCt3.Kq3@lugnet.com...
1. When opening a file, if any sub parts are not found (the program alerts • to
this and offers a "Yes/No" dialog) and the file is opened anyway, clicking • on
the "Unknown" element will cause a Protection Fault Error:
MLCAD caused an exception 10H in module MLCAD.EXE at 017f:0045670c.
Registers:
EAX=00731e72 CS=017f EIP=0045670c EFLGS=00010206
EBX=0049dd04 SS=0187 ESP=0073f348 EBP=0073f354
ECX=d7d7625a DS=0187 ESI=0073f4c4 FS=3397
EDX=6974e718 ES=0187 EDI=03a8fd90 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
d9 6d fe 8b 45 f4 8b 55 f8 c9 c3 56 8b 74 24 08
Stack dump:
6974e718 d7d7625a 12721e72 0073f46c 0043153c 012da174 013a91a8 0049dd60
0073f33c 0049dd60 0073f3e0 d7d7625a 6974e718 d7d7625a 6974e718 d7d7625a

2. I've been working on a fairly large model with a bounding area of • around
-3000 to +3000 LDU in all 3 dimensions. Anytime elements are added to an • area
that is beyond +-2000LDU, they are not placed correctly. It appears that • the
program has some difficulty dealing with these large values and places an
element that should be at -2500 in the area of +1200 instead.

3. During the same large model editing I've had issues with rotations • working
correctly. If I choose the "Part Rotation Point" rotation option when • trying to
rotate a sub part, the rotation point resets to the origin after the first
click of a rotation button on the toolbar. In other words, if my rotation • is
set to move in 45deg increments and I want to rotate a sub part 90deg. I • set
the rotation option to use the part rotation point and click the rotate
button. The sub part rotates 45deg correctly about its rotation point, but • the
second click (which should take the sub part another 45deg about its • rotation
point) instead rotates the sub part about the axis. If I go into the • rotation
options, the option is still set to "Part Rotation Point" but it isn't • showing
(or rotating) about that point, it has instead moved to the origin and • there is
no way I can get it back to the part rotation point.

4. On the "Enter Position & Orientation" dialog box the "Angle" field • doesn't
appear to be functional to enter a rotation value. It often reports the • angle
that an element has been rotated, but if you want to rotate a piece 88.625
degrees, typing that value into the "Angle" field doesn't appear to have • any
effect. The only way I've been able to accomplish some decimal rotations • is to
set my default rotation values accordingly and apply the rotations with • the
toolbar buttons while in the appropriate grid resolution. I don't know if • the
"Angle" field was meant to enter a rotation value, but it would be a great
idea.

5. When creating an .MPD file, the .DAT extension is added to the .MPD • filename
when it is saved (so model.mpd is saved as model.mpd.dat).

6. When you select the "Modify Part" option, I'm not sure the "Custom • Part"
checkbox is necessary and that the part name field should be • enabled/disabled.
It seems that the field can always be enabled and used to type the name of • a
part which can be used to quick jump to the part in the partlist or load a • part
not availble in the list. Having to click on the "Custom Part" check seems • like
a superfluous step.

7. Having the "Modify Part" dialog retain whether your last sort was by • part
number or description would be nice. I do all of my browsing in this list • by
description, so I have to click the header each time to sort the list
accordingly. Something else that might be an idea, have an option to view • the
"Modify Part" list using the same folder configuration that exists on the • left
side of the main view window. I know it often takes a while to scroll • through
the part list and I miss not being able to simply click one of my custom
folders to get to a part.

8. I noticed that the color dialog only allows for colors up to 255. Since
colors such as chrome, gold and tire rubber are above this, I suggest
supporting up to 512.

Still a great program! It's making my latest project chug along nicely!
Thanks a ton as always Michael!