 CAD / MLCad / 577
Re: Can this be done easily?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 08:34:54 GMT

"Michael Lachmann" <m.lachmann@xpoint.at> wrote in message
news:G3sn27.ACJ@lugnet.com...
I think the problem is again the part itself. To line up parts you need to
have reference points where you can line up. LDraw parts do not have such
points.
The same thing is valid for intersecting parts. I'm sure it's possible to
detect that parts are intersecting, but how to you move the part that it
doesn't intersect and that it is lined up correctly. Also I believe that
such a process with a high number of parts can easily end up in a mess of
calculation-power imagine a part in the center of hundreds of other • parts -
when the center-part is wrong and you have to move all the other parts • into
different positions ....

When I get the chance I'll dig out my 3D modelling books and see if I can
slap together a small app to look for intersecting parts and just spit out
the problems. You're right, moving parts would be way too hard. If I get
something working I'll send over the logic, or maybe just giveaway my app
for free with source so others can build on it.

Dan