 CAD / MLCad / 575
Re: Can this be done easily?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 05:26:05 GMT

I think the problem is again the part itself. To line up parts you need to
have reference points where you can line up. LDraw parts do not have such
points.
The same thing is valid for intersecting parts. I'm sure it's possible to
detect that parts are intersecting, but how to you move the part that it
doesn't intersect and that it is lined up correctly. Also I believe that
such a process with a high number of parts can easily end up in a mess of
calculation-power imagine a part in the center of hundreds of other parts -
when the center-part is wrong and you have to move all the other parts into
different positions ....

Michael

Daniel Crichton <danielc@helio.co.uk> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
G3nD0t.CIy@lugnet.com...
Last night I had a thought ... wouldn't it be really cool if MLCad could
verify that a model was constructed "correctly"? In simple terms it could
check to see if any bricks overlapped others, and also make sure that • bricks
were aligned against attached bricks properly (the studs lining up with • the
holes underneath). How hard would this be too add as a feature? It's been • a
while since my Engineering Degree (one of my subjects in my final year was
on CAD systems and how they store and render solid objects!) so I can't
quite remember the maths for determing whether objects intersect, but
hopefully for someone like Michael who obviously understands this topic • well
I'm hoping this won't be too hard. Would be kinda cool to be able to build
in MLCad and then put the real thing together without finding that it
doesn't quite work :)

Dan