 CAD / MLCad / 2144
Re: How do I specify colors not part of MLCAD?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 07:36:42 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, John O’Keefe wrote:
   When creating some models in MLCAD I come across some colors that are not part of the default palette in MLCAD. How do I find out what color number to specify? For example I have some chrome parts I want to create in MLCAD and I see not color for silver or chrome. Ideally I would like to open up the color pallet in MLCAD and be able to choose any of the colors listed in the color guide on lugnet. Is there a patch, or information I can enter to have that? If I want to do a silver color how do I select that color or enter it? Any help?

If the color has an LDraw color number, you can just type the number into the Color number field in the MLCad “Select color” dialog. Many colors won’t have numbers, but chrome silver and gold both do. Take a look at this color list, which includes LDraw color numbers:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/colors

If the color you want doesn’t have an LDraw color number, note the RGB value, then convert that to decimal, then hit the “Custom” button in the MLCad color chooser dialog, then select 24bit Color Solid from the combo-box, then enter the RGB values above. This won’t work for special colors (like chrome, pearl, etc), but it will work for all other colors. These should display correctly in MLCad, L3P-converted POV, LDView, ldlite/ldglite.

For hex-to-decimal RGB conversion, do the following:
  • Split the 6-digit number into three 2-digit numbers. (Example: Light Purple is 8e4285. This becomes 8e,42,85.
  • Run Calculator in Windows, make sure it’s in Scientific mode (View->Scientific), switch to hex mode, then enter the first number (8e).
  • Switch to decimal mode, and it will give you the value for red (142, in this case).
  • Repeat for green and blue.
Also take a look at the file ldconfig.ldr, which has been included in the last couple of parts library releases. It will be in your main LDraw directory. It contains a list of all the known colors, along with their numbers. (The number after “CODE” on each line is the color number that can be typed into MLCad.) Note that the numbers will often be approximations, but certain colors (like silver and gold) should be rendered properly after processing the file with L3P. Note also that the colors might not display correctly in MLCad.

--Travis