 CAD / MLCad / 2134
2133  |  2135
Subject:
Exporting Minifig to Maya - edgy model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:48:24 GMT

Hey,

I've been stuck with this problem for a while, so now I've come here for
a discussion. It's quite simple actually, but I must say that I'm fairly
new in the 3d world so I might have missed something crucial here.

1. I've made a simple minifig with the minifig generator i mlcad. Now I
want to export this model and use it for rendering in Maya. In the
export dialog I select to export LDraw primitives to cut of all the
references to the part library.

2. Then I convert the .ldr to .obj using the LdrDat2Obj utility found at
the the Ldraw.org plugins/downloads whatever page.

3. When I then open the model in maya, I see that the polygon count is
really small - that is, the cap/head is all edgy and tesselated. So is
the entire figure. A polygon smooth wont work to round of the head either.

My question; Is there a way to control the "resolution" of the model at
export, like a way to say how fine the mesh of polygons/how many
polygons there should be? As I said, I'm new at the polygon stuff, used
to NURBS.

Thankful for any input, how simple it may be.

Cheers,

- Björn, Sweden