 CAD / MLCad / 2123
Re: MLCAD mirrored submodels - Help please
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:11:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Torben Cox wrote:
   Thanks Niels - you’re absolutely right. Inserting the submodel higher up and moving it down sorts it.

If the program isn’t acting funny, the last part above it is flipped (step commands doesn’t have rotation matrixes) and perhaps the part above that etc.. So if you can find the initial part that got flipped and sort everthing after that you can avoid mirrored studlogos etc.

   Plus new things underneath are sorted as well. However, I’d be very grateful to know how to mirror, if you could please. In this case inserting the parts above a step command is right, and below it (without any other parts in between) is mirrored. I thought deleting the step command and reentering it would sort it, but no difference.

I can’t find a mirror command/ menu item anywhere.

If you click at the “enter position, rotation...” button in the menus (a litte yellow keyboard), a window pops up: you’ll have to check the last checkbox to enter a new matrix:

On default it would look like:
1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1
Which roughly translates into:
x x x y y y z z z
So if you wish to flip along the x-axis, you’ll put a minus in front of the number in that section (likewise with the y and z axis):
-1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1

Note that this flip is only that simple when only one of the x-positions has a number (or whatever axis you wish to flip): That will happen if you’ve rotated the part in anything but 90 degree steps. If the case is that the axis you wish to flip has numbers on more positions, the easiest way to flip it is by turning it back to a 90 degree step, flip it, and turn it back to the odd angle.

Hope that made sense. If you wish to be even more confused, here’s a tutorial that goes deeper into how the matrix works: http://www.ldraw.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=116

Note that the first 5 numbers are linetype (pos 1) colour (pos 2) and xyz-coordinates (pos 3-5). Only after that comes the 9 matrix-positions you can see in MLCad’s matrix interface, followed by the name of the part.

-NB