 CAD / MLCad / 196
Re: Big Scenes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 13:56:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Jonathan Gevaryahu writes:

Hi,

I'm already working on version 1.8 of MLCad. This version will support a four
step precession-level from no studs, over lines (like LEdit), coase studs and
normal studs.
First speed measurements indicated a increase of up to factor 10!

Please stand by, I will try to release this version as soon as possible.

Michael

why don't you add opengl support? for people with acceleration ( not me :( ) • it
would be MUCH faster, with little or no quality loss

Jonathan Gevaryahu
Jgevaryahu(remove)@hotmail.com

I've tried some weeks ago to build a small viewer compatible to the MLCad dat
format extensions, using OpenGl. The result was: It was not much faster, and I
was loosing all the features, build in into the 3D-Drawing engine of MLCad.
E.g. it's using some sort of pre- and post-processing on images before
displaying them. (E.g. the next version of MLCad will have much faster drawing
if add-parts highlighting is turned on, than Version 1.7 has, because it's
using a modification buffer, which keeps track of all points changed from one
step to the next step. So it just has to modify changed points, and no
complete redraw is need (as until now)).

Another thing I found out is, that OpenGL seems to have some special speed-up
for objects like spheres, which cannot be used for dat files.
The reason is that the definition of triangles and quads is not always clock-
wice which is required for fast OpenGl support.

The next version of MLCad will provide experimental support of the BFC meta
command. Some BFC enabled parts will be available togather with this MLCad
release.
This meta command should increase drawing speed.

So I realy have to say ... PLEASE STAND BY UNTIL RELEASE 1.8 of MLCAD!

Michael