 CAD / LDD / 68
Re: 10183 postponed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 22:27:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ldd, Jordan Schwarz wrote:
I share Jason's sentiment - I wish they would have kept compatibility with all
but the most recent versions of Windows.  I guess the software people decided
that was the best thing to do.  But it does pose an inconvenience for those of
us who do not wish to upgrade to XP SP2.

I run Linux and keep a older computer with Windows 2000 for running LDD.  Oddly
enough, using WINE (an emulator-type program) in Linux, I was able to run LDD
2.0 with reasonable success, though the pictures it uploaded to LEGO Factory did
not look quite right.  This was an improvement - WINE could not handle v1.6.

When I tried to run the LDD 2.0 installer on Windows (2000), the installer kept
crashing.  So, I copied over the program directory that my Linux system had made
to Windows.  And it worked.  Perhaps Win2k is a mixed bag - I guess it's only
certain that LDD 2.0 will work on WinXP and above.

Presently the Cool Train Creations link shows you models from 10183.  It will be
interesting to see if over time, it includes models by other builders or not.  I
have updated a number of my models for LDD 2.0, though the ones requiring
significant overhaul, I have not yet fixed.

-Jordan

Well, it seems I may have spoken too soon.  By going through and updating all of
my drivers (I suspect the graphics card driver was the critical one) I've been
able to get it to run on my Windows 2000 Pro machine.  It freezes occasionally
when scrolling through the parts list (who put jumpers under the wheel holder
icon anyway?  Were they mad?) but it always comes back after a few seconds.

I've hardly been able to import anything, though I'll try Tim's update to my
import patches and see if I have any more luck.

I notice that when you 'import' a file, it doesn't give you a new model.  It
adds what you import as an object floating under your cursor, ready to place.
Though it always gives me just a few bricks or often none at all.

It's much more picky about collisions, verifying LDRAW imports for overlaps and
rejecting bricks. It even removed a wheel block from one of my wagons, even
though that was just done in LDD 1.6.

However, the parts placement is a massive improvement, and I was able to rebuild
the wagon from scratch very quickly. Maybe even quicker than using MLCAD, which
is pretty impressive.

Although it now ignores the order in which you place pieces, or the step breaks
in LDRAW files, the instructions generator is pretty clever.  It doesn't always
follow the most natural building sequence, but it does do a good job of sorting
out some fairly tricky structures.

Two bugs I have noticed though:

i. under 'preferences' (where you can turn the sound off) you can choose to
automatically repeat each brick as you place it. This saves you having to keep
re-selecting the same brick, or use the clone tool.  Unfortunately, it forgets
the orientation of the brick, so you have to re-align each subsequent brick.
It's often easier just to use the clone tool.  But that's the other bug...

ii. when you're cloning bricks, every time you place a brick you're supposed to
get another copy of it under the cursor. But you don't always get the same
brick! If, for example, you're cloning technic pegs and placing them in holes in
bricks, you'll often find as you click to place a peg, you end up with a clone
of the technic brick you just put it in, rather than the peg itself.

And I would really like to be able to kill the 'Starter Models' window.  What's
the point of having that persist in the editor?

Lastly, you can filter by the parts available in the Train Factory box, but it
doesn't limit the parts count according to what's in the box - just the range of
parts. It would have been handy to have that limit so that you can design freely
on LDD knowing that you can build what you come up with. As it stands, it's just
a tool for recording what you've made.

Jason R