Re: LDraw CD-ROM Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 07:08:45 GMT

Bram Lambrecht <braml@juno.com> writes:

Hmm, when I put ldraw-mode.el in /lisp/, it didn;t work, but when I moved
it to /bin/ where runemacs.exe resides, it worked.

Now, that's strange.  Anyway, it doesn't matter too much where you put
it as long as it works and you don't have multiple copies of it.  The
latter would mess things up if you upgrade LDraw-mode.

   (global-font-lock-mode 1)

What should this do?

This statement says that you want to colour the buffer according to
the contents.  That is, it adds syntactical colouring of the text, so
that comments are red and so on.  Most users want to have this feature
in Emacs.  You can try to open a C or HTML file as well, to see the
effect.

   (setq ldraw-base-dir "C:/lego/ldraw")

Is this supposed to change the default directory for Files->Open File?

No, this is supposed to simply tell LDraw-mode where to look for part
files and primitives.  It is simply the LDraw root.  You typically set
this with

The default directory for Open File is normally where you started
Emacs.

What tipped me off was the nice colors.  Even that should be helpful if I
get heavily into part-development.

Well, that's nice.  It shows that the installation probably went
well.  If you like the colouring, you can try to use Emacs to edit
other file types as well.  Native Emacs has major modes for most kinds
of sources, and you can normally find "unofficial" add on files for
the rest.  Like my program for LDraw!  (Although RMS has said that he
wants to include LDraw-mode in native Emacs, but he wants to wait
until we have GPL rendering software.  With leocad and ldglite, I
suppose I can give it a second try.  Gotta add rendering support to
LDraw-mode first, though.)

Fredrik