Re: LDraw CD-ROM Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 02:28:19 GMT

Fredrik:
First of all, thanks for the help!

Fredrik Glöckner <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> writes:
Emacs is buffer oriented, which may be somewhat strange to a new user.

Earlier, I went through some of the "tutorial" that comes with emacs.  I
think I have the gist of how it works...

If you're new, you can use the "Files -> Open File" menu entry, but
experienced users probably prefer to use the keyboard shortcuts.

Heh, problem is I'm used to the Windows shortcuts for everything.

Allright, to install LDraw-mode, you will need to put the file
ldraw-mode.el somewhere in Emacs' load path.  How do you know what is
Emacs' load path?  Well, the simplest procedure for Windows users is
probably this hack: Search for files with the ".elc" extension.  These
are compiled Emacs Lisp files.  If you find a directory with many
".elc" files, this directory is probably in Emacs' load path.
Further, this directory will probably have the name "lisp".  Now,
copy the file "ldraw-mode.el" to this directory.  You don't really
need to byte compile it, but it speeds up execution.  You can do it
later on.

Hmm, when I put ldraw-mode.el in /lisp/, it didn;t work, but when I moved
it to /bin/ where runemacs.exe resides, it worked.

You will probably want to put this line into the ".emacs" file as
well:
   (global-font-lock-mode 1)

What should this do?

You can put it beneath or above the other line, it doesn't matter.
You'll also want to put something like this in your ".emacs" file:

   (setq ldraw-base-dir "C:/lego/ldraw")

Is this supposed to change the default directory for Files->Open File?
'Cause it didn't.  (Maybe it's case sensitive so it didn't find C:/ldraw
instead of C:/LDRAW? or maybe it's the direction of the slashes?  I'll
have to play with it...)

Does this confuse you already?

No, I think I can follow :)

Having done all this and restarted Emacs successfully, you can try to
open an LDraw DAT file.  Use the "Files -> Open File" menu item and
select a file.  Any LDraw-file, really, as long as it has the .dat
extension.  When you have done this, you should see that the buffer
gets the LDraw major mode enabled (it will read LDraw in the mode
line) and you will have an additional "LDraw" menu item on top.  This
tells you that LDraw-mode is successfully installed and ready to
process an LDraw file.

What tipped me off was the nice colors.  Even that should be helpful if I
get heavily into part-development.

If you feel lucky, you can also try out the hose composing tutorial at
   http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/ldraw-mode/

I'll check it out when I have time.

But be warned: If you haven't byte compiled ldraw-mode.el, you may
have to wait a long time for the function to finish, as it is very
CPU intensive, doing numerical integration and optimization.  Byte
compiling ldraw-mode.el should speed this up.  Read on...

I followed these instructions before even getting LDraw-mode to work, so
I wasn't able to compare processing times :)
Thanks.  I hope to find LDraw-mode useful when I have time to use it.
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht................BramL@JUNO.com
http://www.chuh.org/Students/Bram-Lambrecht/