Subject:
OMR Filenaming Standard Change?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 17:19:11 GMT

In some recent discussion with Ryan Dennett on creating some resources
for the OMR, he brought up what he felt was a discrepancy in the file
naming convention.  We discussed this and felt it appropriate to
approach the group to see if 1) we should go about changing a standard
and 2) if in fact we should change this standard.

Recall some threads which decided this file naming convention:

http://www.lugnet.com/announce/?n=247
http://www.lugnet.com/announce/?n=251

And some individual messages I feel are important:

http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=84
http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=86
http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=90

Ryan's discrepancy is with the main file name for the set, which in
the OMR Filenaming Convention is 'main.dat.'  He would prefer that it
be 'mXXXX.dat,' where XXXX is the set number.  He also said that he
recalled suggesting that, but the decision was made against that.

I'll let him defend his proposal in any replies he might make.

The purpose of this post is to bring that aspect of the naming
convention into question again, if that's the desire of the group as a
whole.  So, please reply with opinions and feedback on the issue.

-- End of the objective summary, beginning of my personal opinion --

My personal opinion is that since the standard was devised months ago
after much discussion, it should stay that way.  There were many
battles back and forth with proposed systems and the holes one could
find in them, and the final decision was made based on the system with
the least of those holes.  Also, when the final decision was posted,
there were no rebuttals to that decision, indicating the acceptance of
the most logical system.

So there's my 'no' vote.

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com