Subject:
Spline-generator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 10:26:10 GMT

Hi,

After experimenting a bit with the current tools for creating flexible parts I
had a lot of problems to place and orientate the hoses using Bezier-curves.
I've looked around a bit and found some examples using multi-point splines.
Main different is the definition of guiding points through which the curve
must go, instead of the more abstract control-points in Bezier-curves. More
interesting is the simple extension to multiple points, which is very complex
using Bezier-curves (not to program, but it is in positioning). The problem
with splines (and Bezier-curves) is that you don't control the length, so I've
to make an iterative proces with something like gravity-points (not
interesting, but rather difficult). I've most experience with delphi, so it
will be written in Delphi, but it will be a tool implementable in LDAO (no
problem I think?). Before I start with a first beta I wanted to generate a
functional description of this tool, and I propose that everyone interested
replies his ideas to this message.

A first attempt for the functional description:

1 must be able to handle chains and general hoses
  the main difference is that in a chain you must define the length, elastic
parts have different length. Should hoses have exact length too?

2 control points can be added by adding LDraw-parts, for example:
  I've placed a large Gear (12 control-points) and a small gear(4 control-
points). After placing them, rotate them until the control-teeth are the right
one. (if you draw this, I hope you'll understand what I mean)

2b new control-parts can be made by specifying an example in the right place:
dat-like format :

0 SplineControlPoint X1 Y1 Z1
0 SplineControlPoint X2 Y2 Z2
0 SplineControlPoint X3 Y3 Z3
0 SplineControlPoint X4 Y4 Z4
0 SplineControlPoint X5 Y5 Z5
etc.

2c control points can be added manually

3 export format is LDraw-dat format

4 type of element can be adjusted, rings for elastic parts, small or large
link chain/Tread.

5 Result view in LDLite (How is this done in the LDAO-modeler, I believe a
time-stamp DAT-file is written and a command like "ldlite -modelname" is given
to Windows?)

6 Begin and End-points can contain other element

more ideas and/or comments?

Bart Titulaer