Re: LDraw All-In-One-Installer - Seeking permission from software programmers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 04:51:52 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Ahui Herrera wrote:
I take it the latest version of LDVIEW is under the GPL?

I believe I switched to the GPL for version 3.0.  (3.1 is definitely under GPL.)
I think I could still release the Windows version under a different license if I
chose, since it doesn't use any GPL software (probably; I'd have to check to see
the license on the zoom-to-fit code I'm using from Lars).

The QT in use by the *nix version is under GPL, so that cannot be released under
any other license.  Prior to switching LDView to a GPL license, it used the MIT
License, which is significantly more permissive than the GPL.  Prior to that,
its "license" was just something I pieced together that included a
non-commercial use clause and not much real substance.

In any event, the GPL is such that I'm unlikely to sign any statements
"releasing" LDView under other terms.  The GPL (v2, which is what LDView uses)
allows anyone who wants to to redistribute LDView, as long as they make the
source code available, and leave it licensed with the GPL.  (There are of course
fine points above and beyond that, but that's the gist.)

I certainly appreciate being informed that a distribution is being created.
It's probably the polite thing to do, but it's not required.  In this instance,
I'm hoping that LDView 3.2 can be officially released before the All-In-One
Installer is updated.  I don't know what the expected time-frame is for the
AIOI, but I certainly hope to have LDView 3.2 out the door within about a month.

--Travis