Re: LDraw All-In-One-Installer - Seeking permission from software programmers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 16:57:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Travis Cobbs wrote:
I can't legally agree to that, and it's likely that a large percentage of the
other authors can't either.  The thing is, I'm not the sole author of LDView,
and never have been.  LDView has always included code written by friends of mine
from college, and additionally it has contained 3rd-party libraries for some
time now (libpng, zlib, unzip32, and boost in the Windows version).  It also
contains code written by Lars C. Hassing, and code that Lars got from somewhere.
Finally, the QT version contains quite a bit of code written by Peter Bartfai
(the maintainer of LDView's QT port), and of course contains QT itself, but that
wouldn't come into play here if I restricted my "permission" to the Windows
version.

Now, most of this 3rd-party code is included under permissive licenses.  (All of
it is if you consider GPL V2 to be permissive.)  But it doesn't meet the
requirements of your form.  There is good news, though.  Your form should be
totally unnecessary for GPL-licensed software.  The GPL itself gives you
everything you need, as long as you make an archive of the source code somewhere
and provide instructions in the all-in-one installer for obtaining that source
code.

--Travis

I take it the latest version of LDVIEW is under the GPL?

Ahui