Re: Prefix character on meta commands?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:01:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
my question is:

have/shall old/new meta commands get the "!" as the prefix character when a
program gets updated?

has for example LPUB PAGE SIZE to be changed to !LPUB PAGE SIZE or ROTATION
a new version is released. what is the difference between official and
unofficial? will an unofficial meta become official when it follows the
guidelines?

w.

I am no longer on the LSC, but I'll give my opinion.

Given that the LPUB, SYNTH and MLCad's ROTATION meta's were defined before
there was ever an LSC, before the LDraw file format 1.0.0.0 was officially
ratified, or before the discussion in article 401 (four years ago), I don't
think that they can be consdered new.

Just because I release a new version of LPub, or LSynth (which is what really
motivated your post), does not somehow magically mean the meta's are new.

It is my belief that the meta-commands specified in the LDraw file format
1.0.0.0 are the only official meta commands.

I consider changing the LPUB meta command to !LPUB, or SYNTH to !SYNTH busy
work, and that such changes provide no value to the programs' functionality.
Furthermore I think it would confuse the average user, and only provide
satisfaction to a tiny percentage of the total LDraw users.

Given that four years have passed since the article 401 was written, and that
most (if not all) the major LDraw programs have not changed over to the !
format, I'd say that article 401 was not very well embraced by the community nor
encourages, or enforced by the LSC.

While I am a current member of the LSC, this hasn't been discussed there.

It has always been my understanding that this format for meta commands was never
intended to require existing meta commands (official or otherwise) to be
changed.  However, the official header spec that we (the current LSC) released
did change some of the meta commands used in the header to be preceded by !.  I
don't personally feel this was the best choice, but I didn't have any strong
objections to it, and it's done now.

--Travis