Re: Prefix character on meta commands?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:58:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
I consider changing the LPUB meta command to !LPUB, or SYNTH to !SYNTH busy
work, and that such changes provide no value to the programs' functionality.
Furthermore I think it would confuse the average user, and only provide
satisfaction to a tiny percentage of the total LDraw users.

Given that four years have passed since the article 401 was written, and that
most (if not all) the major LDraw programs have not changed over to the !
format, I'd say that article 401 was not very well embraced by the community nor
encourages, or enforced by the LSC.

As the author of the meta command section of the 1.0.0.0 spec, my intention
wasn't to twist the arms of developers into adopting the "!" prefix or the
program name requirement.  For non-official LDraw.org programs, I meant for
these rules to be merely recommendations and not hard and fast requirements.
There might even be a post or 2 here on Lugnet or in the LSC mailing list
archives that have me stating as such

-Orion