Re: Prefix character on meta commands?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:51:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
guys,

flicking through the specs I got a bit confused and seek clarification
(preferably from the LSC)

we have the list of Official META Commands:
http://www.ldraw.org/Article401.html

the list of currently known META Commands:
http://www.ldraw.org/Article342.html

the LDraw File Format 1.0.0 proposal (oddly there is no link to Article401):
http://www.ldraw.org/Article218.html

and this post in the LSC archive introducing the ! as prefix
http://five.pairlist.net/pipermail/lsc/2003-December/000063.html

summarizing the info we get:

*************Article218*************

META Commands

A META command is a statement used to tell an LDraw compatible program to do
something. There are currently many official META commands and almost as many
unofficial META commands. In a META command, a keyword follows the line type in
the line. The keyword must be in all caps. The generic META line format is:

0 !<META command> <additional parameters>

Where:

    * <META command> is any string in all caps
    * <additional parameters> is any string. Note that if a META command does
not require any additional parameter, none should be given.

*************Article218*************

Adding New META Commands

Here are some guidelines LDraw.org compatible program developers should consider
when add new META command functionality to their programs:

    * All the new META commands should be based on a program name where this
META command is defined/used first. For example: if your program is called
LDParser and you want to add a META command called EXAMPLE then your command
should appear in DAT code as 0 LDPARSER EXAMPLE.
    * Avoid defining META commands which are similar in name but not equal in
function to already existing META command. Doing this will avoid user confusion
and possible erroneous output.

*************Article401*************

The following is a list of META commands that have been formally adopted into
the LDraw.org File Format and links to the applicable specifications. Note that
all new official META commands will have a "!" as the prefix character

************************************

my question is:

have/shall old/new meta commands get the "!" as the prefix character when a
program gets updated?

has for example LPUB PAGE SIZE to be changed to !LPUB PAGE SIZE or ROTATION
a new version is released. what is the difference between official and
unofficial? will an unofficial meta become official when it follows the
guidelines?

w.

I am no longer on the LSC, but I'll give my opinion.

Given that the LPUB, SYNTH and MLCad's ROTATION meta's were defined before
there was ever an LSC, before the LDraw file format 1.0.0.0 was officially
ratified, or before the discussion in article 401 (four years ago), I don't
think that they can be consdered new.

Just because I release a new version of LPub, or LSynth (which is what really
motivated your post), does not somehow magically mean the meta's are new.

It is my belief that the meta-commands specified in the LDraw file format
1.0.0.0 are the only official meta commands.

I consider changing the LPUB meta command to !LPUB, or SYNTH to !SYNTH busy
work, and that such changes provide no value to the programs' functionality.
Furthermore I think it would confuse the average user, and only provide
satisfaction to a tiny percentage of the total LDraw users.

Given that four years have passed since the article 401 was written, and that
most (if not all) the major LDraw programs have not changed over to the !
format, I'd say that article 401 was not very well embraced by the community nor
encourages, or enforced by the LSC.

Kevin