Re: Tim Courtney (was Re: Call For Nominations: 2006 LDraw Steering Committee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 00:21:16 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   OK, this is a bit out of process, sorry... What I had HOPED to be writing here was a nomination for Tim Courtney. Instead, you get this.

I have been in communication with Tim Courtney, after asking him if he wanted to be nominated to serve another term on the Steering Committee. Tim has decided that he cannot devote his energies to the office to the necessary level this coming term and asked me not to nominate him for this year.

So it is with some regret that I inform you of this, but I also wanted to express my personal thanks for all the things Tim Courtney has done for the Ldraw community over the years. I am absolutely certain that Ldraw would NOT be where it is today, or anywhere near it in fact, without the huge amount of effort that Tim has put in for many many years. So I say “Thanks” Tim!

Larry Pieniazek

Everyone:

I gave Lar the green light to post this, because I felt coming out and saying it first would be a tad presumptuous. I’d just like to say that it’s been wonderful working with the LDraw community for the last (wow) 8 years!

Lots of cool stuff has come out of our combined efforts! Some personal highlights:
  • Multiple Mac versions of software :-)
  • Not one but TWO great LDraw tools books (thanks to two great publishers who took a chance on a fun niche community)
  • LDraw on G4TechTV - yay!
  • Two great showings at SIGGRAPH 2003 and 2004 (thanks to OrionP, Steve Barile, Julian Gomez, and many more)
  • A new, multi-user accessible web site that volunteers can easily collectively contribute to (thanks to Orion)
  • A community organization with constructive processes that ensure good governance of the common resources
  • Incredible raytracing settings that give photo-realism or look like actual official instructions
  • MUCH more...

As I’ve now been out of school since June, and focused intently on (non-LEGO) for-profit business ventures, I donm’t have the bandwidth to justify a seat on the SteerCo. I also believe it’s time to pass the torch, and encourage others to take the helm, setting the vision and direction for LDraw.org and leading the community forward.

It’s been fun working with all of you, and though I won’t be as active of a presence online anymore I look forward to seeing many friends at future fests, including BrickFest in August.

-Tim