Re: Integrating help topics/tutorials on ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:55:01 GMT

At 09:56 AM 7/15/99 , Bart Titulaer wrote:
oke, as I mentioned earlier, I want to contribute to the reference part of
the
lugnet-organisation and I do have some time in the next months.

Great!

I think all
manuals should be organized under references, with links from the
corresponding sites. I think the OMR section for example should provide the
reader with the general information about the OMR and were he/she can find
the
reference.

So you're saying have the OMR link to an OMR instruction page within
/reference/?

For the OMR only I was thinking have the pages under OMR in something like
/repository/official/instructions/ so when someone goes to look at the page
they stay under the OMR submenus on the pages.  Since the OMR is an actual
part of the site and accessible online, it makes sense to me to put the
pages there.  Since LDraw and LEdit are programs you run separately from
this site, it would make more sense to have related references under the
reference section.

I read that the standard ldraw.txt and ledit.txt had to be renewed. What
about
Bram Lambrechts great tutorial, I saw that's already in HTML, can it be used
and if it can't what is expected from a new tutorial?

Bram and I are working on a condensed version of the Tutorial for the
reference section to provide useful information while avoiding redundancies
with the rest of the ldraw.org site.  The original tutorial will remain
online, of course.

I was referring to manuals for the programs, similar but more extensive
than their release notes provided by James.  They differ from tutorials,
manuals provide information on features and functions while a tutorial
walks you through using those features and functions.  We are in need of
more extensive LDraw and LEdit manuals.

I can make a start with the parts-creation tutorial, but feel a bit new to
this area. I've never used the bmp2dat utility for example. Can we use the
text of (e.g.) the help-file of bezgen? Can the primitives-reference be used?

I would clear it up with the creator of Bezgen before going ahead and using
his text.  As well as the primitives reference.  I think instructions for
primitives should be included in the tutorial.

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com
AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114