Subject:
Integrating help topics/tutorials on ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:49:18 GMT

Ugg... I know I am over my head in stuff to do, but here we go with another
idea:

I have been thinking about things like the OMR and parts creation and their
eventual places on ldraw.org.  It is clear that these things will need
their own help topics/tutorials on the site to explain to users how to do
them.  My post on the final OMR Filename system needs to be taken and
formatted into a web page with instructions on how to create a model for
the OMR.  And if there isn't a parts creation tutorial already, one is
needed for the /download/unofficial/ and or /reference/ section.

What I am wondering here is should we integrate these help topics into
their respective site areas, like sticking an OMR tutorial and information
center within /repository/official/ or should we put all of these under
/reference/, merely linking to them from their site areas?

I'm thinking it would be easier to integrate them, but don't these things
fall well within the bounds of a reference item?  Would it be more natural
for someone wanting to create an official model for the OMR to go to the
OMR itself or to the Reference section for the information?  How about
parts creation??  I know the creation of parts doesn't fall under
/download/ like the ldraw.org unofficial parts page does.

Is each of these cases different?  How should they be treated?  Why do my
Lego erasers with the M:Tron seated on top of them keep moving on my desk?

And does anyone want to write a parts creation tutorial?

-Tim Courtney
  ldraw.org Project Coordinator

http://www.ldraw.org
http://www.zacktron.com