Re: Moving the License Forward
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:11:53 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Peter Howkins wrote:

This wouldn't exactly be a ringing endorsment of a policy change.
I would like to see the enduser license being a difficult thing to
change. Something like 75% approval on a turnout of 33% (active voters
rather no response abstains) would at least confirm that those active
members believed it to be a good thing. Given how no one on the SteerCo
has yet come up with a reason for changing the EndUser license, making
it easy shouldn't be on the agenda.

Whilte you make a good argument, I think you're leaving out something. It's the
author's responsibility to maintain an address where LDraw.org can contact them
on organizational business. Plus, LDraw.org announces important things like this
through the 'proper channels' like LUGNET News (or whatever primary discussion
medium in the future, which will be well known), and the LDraw.org site itself.
Again, if the author is so concerned with the license on their parts, its their
responsibility to be 1) reachable by the notices, and 2) vote if they're against
the change.

I admit my turnout values may have been optimistic :)

But I still feel that a greater than 50.00000something percent positive
vote ought to be needed to move away from something as good as the
ShareAlike license.

And no, I don't have any *specific* reasons for making a change in the future.
What I *do* have is an intense desire to not put the community in the situation
we're in today again. That means, we need some mechanism to allow the
distribution of the library to change (if it ever becomes necessary) while
protecting it from 'no response.'

Right now, as we move towards adopting a license for the library, technically
speaking we must contact each and every author who has a part in the library and
get an affirmative response from them. No doubt in my mind, we'll be dropping
parts from the library because of this - some have disappeared and won't return,
or won't return for a while. Users (thousands more of them than there are parts
authors) have invested much of their time into creating, archiving, and sharing
models that reference parts that _might go away_. That's hard for me to stomach
-- difficult now, and unthinkable to allow to happen again.

What, at the risk of banging on forever, in the ShareAlike license
do you feel is against the stated goals of ldraw.org and the
sharing attitude of it's contributors? Is there a flaw in the
ShareAlike license that would force people to stop distributing
work under it? I personally can't see anything in the ShareAlike license
that would ever put us in a similar mess to the one currently.

I'm more afraid for the future with a situation where peoples work
can be relicensed under different terms than I am with a future
where we are stuck with the ShareAlike license forever.

If we could accept the ShareAlike license as "a good thing", it would
save a lot of work writing rules to allow people to change it.

Why don't we get it right now, and stand by those principles in future?

To reiterate, if the author wants a say, he/she is responsible for maintaining
an address where they can be contacted and checking it for notices, or keeping
up on publicly posted news which could affect their contributions. The time
period for making a response one way or another will be significant (60 days, I
believe, is in the current draft); which is plenty of time for someone who is
genuinely concerned to reply.

Authors may pre-approve LDraw.org to make license changes through a checkbox at
the bottom of this agreement.

Once again I disagree with this. There should be no automatic approval of
all future decissions. This also seems a fairly cynical method of
increasing the 'Approval' votes. Would you also add a box on the CA
that says "I'll vote against changing from the ShareAlike license in
any future votes", it would even things out :)

Now that I think about it, I suppose the box is unnecessary, as a 'no response'
is also a yes.

Erm, are you sure that's what you mean. In the previous
post you said ...

"if no response is received from the author, it will count as an
  abstaining vote"

and

"Abstaining votes will not count towards the total for which a majority
  will be measured"

That doesn't sound like a 'yes' from a voting point of view. Wheras
the tick box language does sound like a 'yes' (to whatever terms are
presented).

I disagree that it's a 'cynical method,' though.

Well yeah :)

I sort of coming at this from a paranoid, anti bureaucracy, anti
political point of view. This means I perhaps unfairly place
motivations on people, in my mind, that they don't actually have.
My apologies to anyone (particulaly on the SteerCo) that is
taking this personally.

I keep on seeing holes in licenses and thinking "Arrrgh, why do
they need all this power, are they trying to take my rights away".

I hate the idea that after all the work the SteerCo is doing now,
it would take very little for say five or ten years down the line a
different SteerCo being able to undo the good work.

Maybe if I posted some of my 'Doooom' scenarios, it would help
others see why I'm a tad worried about this? And fill in
various holes to prevent them.

Peter