Re: Moving the License Forward
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:47:12 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Peter Howkins wrote:
Tim Courtney wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Peter Howkins wrote:

<snip>

What, at the risk of banging on forever, in the ShareAlike license
do you feel is against the stated goals of ldraw.org and the
sharing attitude of it's contributors? Is there a flaw in the
ShareAlike license that would force people to stop distributing
work under it? I personally can't see anything in the ShareAlike license
that would ever put us in a similar mess to the one currently.

I'm more afraid for the future with a situation where peoples work
can be relicensed under different terms than I am with a future
where we are stuck with the ShareAlike license forever.

If we could accept the ShareAlike license as "a good thing", it would
save a lot of work writing rules to allow people to change it.

Quoting Yoda, "Hard to see, the future is".

The ability to change the ShareAlike license is to hedge our bets against
unforseen issues.  If you are omnipotent (should I call you Q?), then you can
see all forseeable issues and can rest in peace.  I know that I cannot.

<snip>

I disagree that it's a 'cynical method,' though.

Well yeah :)

There is nothing funny about your 'cynical method' reference.  We are trying to
fix a problem.  Wiser folks than us have told us that creating a bullet proof
license is *much harder* than it appears.

I sort of coming at this from a paranoid, anti bureaucracy, anti
political point of view. This means I perhaps unfairly place
motivations on people, in my mind, that they don't actually have.
My apologies to anyone (particulaly on the SteerCo) that is
taking this personally.

Thanks, this helps.

I keep on seeing holes in licenses and thinking "Arrrgh, why do
they need all this power, are they trying to take my rights away".

We are not trying to take your rights away.  We are trying to prevent the
handcuffing of future SteerCo's with respect to unforseeable future events.

I hate the idea that after all the work the SteerCo is doing now,
it would take very little for say five or ten years down the line a
different SteerCo being able to undo the good work.

I hate the idea that after all the work the SteerCo is doing now, that it would
be impossible for say five or ten years down the line a different Steerco would
be able to make reasonable and neccessary changes to the license.

Maybe if I posted some of my 'Doooom' scenarios, it would help
others see why I'm a tad worried about this? And fill in
various holes to prevent them.

Specific doom day scenarios might help, rather than the vague generalizations
you are throwing out now.

Please provide specifics.

Peter

Kevin