Re: License Intent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 04:28:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger wrote:
On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:17:05PM +0000, Tim Courtney wrote:
Or allowing LEGO to "import" ldraw files (even if they support
exporting to ldraw) without putting up the complete original library
for download. Is that what we want?

If LEGO (or any other creator of a proprietary LEGO CAD program) was
able to import LDraw, I would like the license to require their
software also write to LDraw.

That would be great - but are you going to ask them also to distribute
the latest copy of the library from their site?  Or on any of the media
they distribute?

The spirit of what I'm trying to get at is this: if someone wants to read LDraw
into a proprietary format, shouldn't they also write LDraw? Taking an open
format and importing it into a closed format, without a way to write back to the
open format seems backwards to me.

I wouldn't want to require LEGO or anyone else redistribute the library as a
condition to their software reading/writing LDraw.

Now, to counter my above point I note what others have said about a DAT2DXF
converter, and things of the like. Obviously, it's a good thing to have
capability to go from LDraw to a professional CAD program. For that reason, I
think my above concern might not really matter all that much when weighed
against this benefit.

-Tim