Re: Non-commercial clause (was Re: License Intent )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 2004 18:44:43 GMT

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 06:23:43PM +0000, Wayne Gramlich wrote:
The more sticky problem that occurs is when somebody does an "embrace
and extend" strategy. For example, suppose I take the LDraw.Org
library and add surface normals for every polygon. For many rendering
algorithms, the surface normals allow more efficient back-culling. As
another example, suppose somebody figures out how to add connection
information to all parts. Before you know it, everybody wants to use
the embraced and extended library, not the official LDraw.Org library.
Again, I see the way to ensure that this does not happen is for the
LDraw.Org Standards Committee to agressively keep pushing the LDraw
format forward so that everybody always wants to use the official
version.

Wouldn't this problem be solved by the GPL approach, where any
modifications made have to be re-submitted to the original library?
This way, yes, you can make your cool changes, and sell them, but you
have to send the patches back to the original parts, where they can
either be integrated or not, depending on what the PT admins think.

By definition, a breakthrough in the format cannot be forced by the SC
or anyone else.  If you come up with the great idea, there's no way the
SC can force the format to have the same breakthrough, not without your
help.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com