Re: License Intent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:45:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
Tim Courtney wrote:

- Require (re)distribution in an open-source format,
  preventing redistributions in a closed-source format

Correct.  But do we really want that?  That would as far as
I can see also prevent Larry from selling his printed
building instructions without including a LDraw source file.

I want to address just this point for now.

I don't see how ensuring the Parts Library is open would prevent Larry (or
anyone else) from distrbuting a LDraw file commercially.  Due to the nature of
the LDraw file system, I would not consider an LDraw file that references the
Part Library a part of the Part Library. Therefore this exempts all LDraw files
(except for the ones in the parts library) from the above goal.

In other words, just because a program or file uses the Parts Library doesn't
neccessarily mean it falls under the same restrictions of the Parts Library.

-Orion