Re: License Intent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 12:49:01 GMT

Orion Pobursky wrote:
Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
Tim Courtney wrote:

- Require (re)distribution in an open-source format,
  preventing redistributions in a closed-source format

Correct.  But do we really want that?  That would as far
as I can see also prevent Larry from selling his printed
building instructions without including a LDraw source
file.

I don't see how ensuring the Parts Library is open would
prevent Larry (or anyone else) from distributing a LDraw
file commercially.

It wouldn't.  But I would (could) prevent him (and everybody
else) from distributing renderings that includes parts from
the Parts Library, since these are derivative works of the
parts in the Parts Library.

Due to the nature of the LDraw file system, I would not
consider an LDraw file that references the Part Library a
part of the Part Library. Therefore this exempts all LDraw
files (except for the ones in the parts library) from the
above goal.

Agreed.  But Larry's problem is (as I see it) that he wants
to distribute renderings without distributing the source.
A license that prevents redistribution of the parts files in
Closed Source [1] form will also prevent Larry from
distributing renderings without distributing the source file
for the renderings.

In other words, just because a program or file uses the
Parts Library doesn't necessarily mean it falls under the
same restrictions of the Parts Library.

Agreed.  But that was not the topic of my comment.

Play well,

Jacob

[1] "Closed Source" here meaning everything not conforming
    to The Open Source Definition [2].
[2] <http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php>
--
LEGO Purists' Fighter (building instructions):
  http://jacob.sparre.dk/LEGO/Transport/Fly/Purists_fighter/