Re: License Intent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 25 May 2004 11:20:06 GMT

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

It seems clear to us that there ought to be two licenses.
LDraw.org needs to be a conduit or intermediary. That is,
there needs to be some distinction between what an author
grants Ldraw and what LDraw grants the user rather than it
being a straight author to user license.

I can't see the reason for this.  Why shouldn't any user of
the parts files have the same rights as LDraw.org?  What
special permissions does LDraw.org need, which it would be
problematic to grant to all the users?

I also can't understand the reason for two licenses. With
one license ldraw.org and the community as a whole gain the
same rights to modify/redistribute/buildupon the community
provided library.

The license described in
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7715
would I think be ideal for the one license required.
It seems to perfectly describe the community development
process of the library, and I heartily recomend it.
It's simple, to the point, and grants people the
rights that they thought they had all along.

On a practical point, each part would need the
authors name, that it's copyright to them and
that it's covered by the license. Here's an
example blob from the top of a file covered
by another license.

/*
  Calisto - An internet Talker
  Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Peter Howkins, Matthew Howkins and Simon Howkins

  (at your option) any later version.

  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the

  Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

*/

I'm sure something shorter could be written to the same effect :)

eg

/*
  Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Brian Tanktop and George Periwinkle

  This program is licensed under the terms of Ldraw License
*/

Peter