 CAD / Development / 7715
Re: Yet another idea - Portable LDraw system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:30:29 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

[XFUT: lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw]

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

Yes. We better get around to decide on the license for the
library. What was the last version we discussed?

The current text of the license is:

LDraw.org Parts Library User License
version 0.9, May 3 2001

This library is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied
warranty.  In no event will the authors or distributors be held
liable for any damages arising from the use of this library.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this library for any purpose,
and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to the following
restrictions:

1. The origin of this library must not be misrepresented; you must not
   claim that you wrote the original library. If you use this library
   in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation is
   required.
2. Altered versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
   misrepresented as being the original library.
3. This file may not be removed or altered from any distribution.

If you redistribute a modified version, please include a file that
documents changes you have made to the library.

It's pretty basic, and open.  But I still think it's thin on covering
the IP of the various parts files -- who owns each file, the author(s)
or ldraw.org?  But that might be better covered with a separate
document...

I'm assuming we'd distribute the document in all the updates, as
/ldraw/license.txt.

And why didn't we just use it?

Because I dropped the ball, why else?

I was supposed to attempt to contact all the part authors and get their
buy-in on the license.  Which I didn't do.

Steve