  Re: library license

(...) I imagine we would define the author of the Parts Library as LDraw.org? The point for me is, parts authors are submitting their work towards the community effort. It makes much more sense to me that the community organization licenses out the (...) (20 years ago, 18-May-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: library license

(...) That would (as I understand things) be impossible from a legal point of view. (...) Maybe. But that would then require that all the parts authors formally transferred their copyright to LDraw.org. This is possible, but parts authors living in (...) (20 years ago, 19-May-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: library license

(...) There is a lot of misunderstanding about the general topic of copyrights. I strongly recommend that the SteerCo undertake the effort to learn more about copyrights, since copyright law is the fundamental underpinning of all redistribution (...) (20 years ago, 19-May-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: library license

(...) Why dont we do what the Free Software Foundation does with the GNU project. Basicly, everyone wanting to contribute code signs something stating that they hand over copyright to GNU. We do the same thing, with gaurantees in the contract that (...) (20 years ago, 19-May-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: library license

(...) The only problem with that is getting permission from authors that have *already contributed*. Many are no longer contactable, and of those that are, there may be some that don't want their work owned by Ldraw.org. You'd effectively need to (...) (20 years ago, 20-May-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: library license

(...) Because it is a bad idea. It requires that the parts authors put an enormous trust in those they sign over copyright to. (...) I have refused to do that for the GNU project and I will do the same for LDraw.org (but I don't think I have written (...) (20 years ago, 24-May-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)