Re: April Model and Scene of the Month Contest Winners
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 17:33:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Anders Isaksson wrote:
... the thumbs should be a bit bigger? (Following up on the point above)

I ran into a problem with the pictures being too big and causing long page loads
with the first contest I ran so I went to the small size (160 width) to solve
it.  Does anyone have any suggestions for an ideal, not too big yet not too
small, image width?

Being a broadband user, I tend to prefer bigger, but I can also understand that
this would lead to an uncomfortably long page load time for people who don't
have broadband.  To be perfectly honest, all the models this month are big
enough in the thumbnail to see what they are, and I think that's the most
important thing.

On a related note, I think your use of a constant width on the full size images
gives an unfair advantage to models that produce tall images, since they end up
with considerably bigger final images.  Just look at the difference in image
size between the Stella heart and the Scania 124 big rig.

Overall, I really like this months model renderings, though.  It would be very
difficult to have comparable size images for all aspect ratios, so no matter
what you do, some models will likely get bigger images.

--Travis

p.s.  If you ever want to try to use LDView to do the renderings (hint, hint), I
can provide instructions on command line usage.  (Getting the exact reverse 3/4
view in LDView would probably have to be done on the command line.)