Re: LDraw History - here's one for the old timers in the group....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 22:27:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Wow this is long...

SimLego (Tore's LCAD program to which he at one point added a DAT output)

At first, James made his own standalone SL2LD converter based on the info I
sent him on SimLego's binary .LEO file format. (The last original ldraw.exe
package file still contains the conversion list). He had plans for an LD2SL
converter too, but that would have been pointless since LDraw had better
output and SL is limited to 90 deg's rotation. Just before SimLego's source
code was forever lost, I managed to make an acceptable LDraw output function
with some extra features that SL2LD lacked.

LDrawLauncher (Tore's (I think?) shell for LDraw, since we all hated typing
in the long command lines to get different views. I used this for a long
time since LDAO didn't run on Win 3.x)

Yes, it was my probably most appreciated utility. Not because it's my best
or my most user-friendly, but it was the most needed - until Steve made his
LDAO.

LDraw-AddOn (Steve Bliss's "masterpiece".  This shell grew and changed so
much over the months/years...I think I'll let Steve give it's history)

My other utilities were:
BMP2DAT - wasn't even supposed to be published with its user-hostile
interface, but a few people used it. Not only the interface sucked, but it
also demanded 16 colours bitmaps with either LDraw's or Windows' standard
palette.

LDraw Draw (LDD) - a utility for drawing vector based 2D patterns. At least
Thomas Burger and I used it frequently.

I made a lot of cones-with-top-cut-off with a utility I incorrectly called
LD Torus. (I didn't know by then that torus was a totally different
geometric figure...) I don't remember whether I published it or not.

LDraw Script (LDS) - the only LDraw tool of mine still in use, I guess.

My current main project is LDA2001 (although I haven't touched it for weeks).

To find the timeline of these utility projects, I have to dig deep in the
archives. That would be quite interesting - but time consuming...!

- People

The names that stand out from early LCAD development (I have left people out
for the sake of brevity), IMO, are:
James Jessiman (of course)
Tore Erikkson (I think Tore was the first person to make an LDraw part (and
a primitive) other than James.

Eriksson, please. :o)

Yes, I'm 85% sure that I was the first one after James. I know there was a
third author in a very early stage, but I don't remember who. Maybe, maybe
Steve Bliss, but I don't know.

Steve Bliss (LDAO)
Paul Gyugyi (LDLite)

- Anything else that would be cool to put in a timeline!

Datsville! Datsville!

/Tore
(Sorry for being ego-centric in this post). :o)

--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu
http://bldesign.org/