Re: Do we need public part submission information ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:18:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Chris Dee wrote:
This is key information for the Authoring FAQ, and probably taken for granted
by authors who have been around a while. Unless you object I'd like to use >some of your text for the FAQ.

That is exactly what I was thinking. You have full permission to use and
modify the text.

I asked:
Is 64 characters correct ?

Steve answered:
It should be 66 characters -- the lines in parts.lst are limited to 80
characters, and the title starts in column 15.  But I believe mklist
truncates at 65 characters.

Now Steve reminded me that Mklist was the restrivtive factor I've tested it:
The maximum is 64 characters without the "0 " prefix, equals 66 characters
with the prefix.

I said:
... In almost any case this description should begin
with one of already existing part categories, you can view a list of these
at http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/ .

This is OK for now, but long-term, let's make our own list.  Partsref may
not always conform *exactly* to the LCAD parts library.

I agree.

Steve also wrote:
When the FAQ is published, it might be better to put very short blurbs on
the Submission Guidelines page, with links to the FAQ.  Something like:

2 - Make sure you've got the header right!  LDraw part files have a very
specific format for the first few lines of the file.  See the FAQ at
http://www.ldraw.org/faq/.......

When this will be configured in such a way that the links bring you to the
specific appropriate text directly, I think that would be a very good idea.
Quick reminders for the more experinced, linking to in depth information for
beginners.

Greetings, M. Moolhuysen.