 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 83
Re: how to get a debugger going
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:54:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Mark Abrams writes:
Now that I've got some bugs, I'd like to get into the code with a
debugger.  In particular, I am trying to set a breakpoint in the
keyboard() method so that I may trace the execution of key commands.
Id like to figure out why pg-up/pg-down refreshes my window while the
'E' key does not.

I've attempted using gdb to start the app from the cli and from within
emacs, the problem is that the output of the app seems to hinder my
ability to enter commands into the debugger.

A more promising method has been to start the app, then hook in with
gdb.  This appears to work except that when I switch back to the
ldglite app, I've got the spining disc and I can't perform any
operations (mouse or keyboard).  If I type (c)ontinue in gdb, I can
input into ldglite but I completely lose control in gdb.  The only
breakpoint I've set is at keyboard().

You could try running ldglite in the background to give gdb control
of the console.  Try this on the command line:

  ldglite blah blah blah &

Then attach the debugger.  Or maybe in gdb try:

  r blah blah blah &

It might help, but I'm not positive.

Don