 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 775
    Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X! —Ross Crawford
   (...) Well the other thing to consider is that with the adoption of the standard header on DAT files, there really is no *need* to store unofficial files in a different sub-directory, because programs will be able to tell which files are unofficial (...) (17 years ago, 1-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

        Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X! —Allen Smith
   It's me the user that wants to know which unofficial parts I've downloaded and am using, and thus which may require updating, deleting, or something. For me it is purely a user-management issue. My program doesn't really care if a part is Official (...) (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

        Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X! —Ross Crawford
   (...) Sure, but as I said, you can't be 100% certain that the contents of the standard LDraw directory are all official and vice versa, so the best way to manage them (in my opinion) is lump them all together, and have a program that helps you (...) (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

        Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X! —Travis Cobbs
   Before I say anything else, I want to point out that as the author of LDView my comments here are necessarily biased. So keep that in mind as you read them. (...) I disagree that it's not useful to have the unofficial parts in another directory. (...) (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

        Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X! —Ross Crawford
   (...) Indeed. (...) Well that's the part I disagree with. Everyone is different, and making assumptions about what people will want to use is always bad for program developers. The choice should be the user's, not the programmer's. (...) That may be (...) (17 years ago, 2-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

        Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X! —Joshua Delahunty
   (...) As a user (and a programmer; though I've yet to do any work on LDView), I prefer the way Travis is doing things. Not that that makes it right; I'm just saying that you can't (and shouldn't) lump the users and the programmers into two competing (...) (17 years ago, 3-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

        Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X! —Jim DeVona
   (...) Absolutely. Before I started using LDView and realized that Bricksmith could also use its Unofficial folder, any and all unofficial files I downloaded just got dumped in parts. To chime in on the filename length issue, my LDraw folder got real (...) (17 years ago, 3-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

        Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X! —Ross Crawford
   (...) Well I would argue that is forcing the user to do something the program could do much more easily (and accurately). Both those make the assumption that the contents of the standard LDraw directory are always official, and the contents of the (...) (17 years ago, 3-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

        Re: LDView 3.1 on Mac OS X! —Jim DeVona
   (...) Absolutely. But until such time as a program like that is available, I'm most interested in what can be done pragmatically with the tools available now. I've probably just confused the discussion of plans for future improvements - in which (...) (17 years ago, 3-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)