 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 772
771  |  773
Subject:
LDView 3.2 on Mac OS X with Qt 3.3.7 status report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 04:29:40 GMT

Just an update on my LDView tinkering. I got Qt 3.3.7 compiled and used it to rebuild the current LDView 3.2 code. As predicted in the other LDView thread, using Qt 3.3.7 instead of Qt 4.2.2 resolved some of the issues I’d observed, most notably the problem invoking fly through mode and the funny window and dialog borders. So it’s good to have those problems explained.

However, it turns out that Qt 4 provides some advantages. I downloaded two clean copies of the LDView 3.2 source and built one with Qt 3 and the other with Qt 4. I’ve experienced crashes with the Qt 3 version that haven’t happened with the Qt 4 version when invoking full screen mode, when toggling the status bar with a model loaded, and when generating a parts list. A trivial difference is that the file picker filter is case sensitive in Qt 3 but not in Qt 4 (ie, CAR.DAT shows up in Qt 4 but not in Qt 3’s open dialog unless you select the “All files” filter).

Most significantly, there is a performance difference. The Qt 4 version renders faster for noticeably smoother rotation and manipulation. The screenshot below shows LDView 3.2/Qt 4 on the left and Qt 3 on the right. I’ve set the model spinning at roughly the same speed with the same render options in both versions. The Qt 4 application is in the background:

LDView 3.2 with two different QT Versions

The Qt 4 FPS was around 75-80 and the Qt 3 FPS was 45-50! I have to admit that seems like a pretty compelling reason to favor the newer Qt. On the other hand, the screenshot does show how the interface looks cleaner and more compact under Qt 3. The preferences dialog is all better too.

Anyway, that’s where I’m at with LDView. It looks like the Qt 3 version is statically linked (no separate Qt libs shown open) while the Qt 4 version is not (my /usr/local Qt 4 libs are shown open when it’s running). Both versions are statically linked to the Boost libraries thanks to the suggestion you gave in the other thread. The point being that my next objective will be to try to eliminate that last Qt 4 dependency and then build PPC or maybe Universal versions so that we can provide standalone Mac LDView 3.2 betas in various flavas until such time as an official release.

Happy to be able to fly through,

Jim