 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 509
Re: LDGLite 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 13:51:52 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Tom Bozzo wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Christopher Masi wrote:
  Congratulations on the 1.0 release.

Thanks, but it sounds like the congrats are a bit premature at this
point.  Oh well, I guess I can live with 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 or 1.0.99 or
whatever...

At 800,600 (32bit colors) resolution the ATi driver loads, and then
LDGLite switches to the Apple driver (the window behavior and the
printout from the terminal is included below) after the window is
manipulated. Anyway to get it to switch right away would be very
cool.

That's interesting.  It sounds like I *can* query the driver during a
reshape and find out if it's changed.  What a relief!  Do you actually
have to change the shape or size of the window, or just move it?

I don't think I can make it switch myself without resorting to Mac
specific function calls.  It'll be a while before I'm ready to do that
though.

No more trail lines in when moving a piece in -LE mode. I did
manage to get trail lines during rotation---they went away at the
end of the rotation---but I haven't been able to reproduce it.

That's probably because I draw everything but the selected part
in the GL_BACK buffer during rotation.  I'll have to think about
how to handle that.

However, the model's appearance changes---the transparent
pieces look different---when the model is manipulated. See the
pictures below

Model before brick movement
http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/-LE,-v3,32bit,before-edit.png

model after brick movent and rotation (I hit 9 key again to get the same
view)
http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/-LE,-v3,32bit,after_edit,after_view_change.png

Chris (and Don),

I can reproduce this.  It appears that changing between standard
views after editing (not necessarily spinning) will do it.  The
behavior is actually different for me with the Apple OpenGL versus
ATI.  With Apple, the trans color just disappears, like Chris's
pictures.  With ATI, a pattern shows up in the trans color while
spinning, as in the following image (trans-neon green 2x1 plate in
center, also note the 43722/3 wedge plates' outlines don't disappear
when spinning in the filled-box mode):

<<file:///Users/tombozzo/Desktop/Picture5.jpg>>

Hmmm, I don't seem to have direct access to files on your desktop... :^)

However, I think I may have the answer.  Apparently the glPixelStore()
functions may be left in an abnormal state by the partial color buffer
restores required to move a part.  Try adding this to the end of the
rendersetup() function in main.c

  glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT,1);
  glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_ROW_LENGTH,0);
  glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_SKIP_ROWS, 0);
  glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_SKIP_PIXELS, 0);

And what the heck, add this as well:

  glPixelStorei(GL_PACK_ALIGNMENT,1);
  glPixelStorei(GL_PACK_ROW_LENGTH,0);
  glPixelStorei(GL_PACK_SKIP_ROWS,0);
  glPixelStorei(GL_PACK_SKIP_PIXELS,0);

Maybe that'll fix it up.

  I also noticed at 16bit colors the rotation problem appears to be that
the original view, the view of the model before begining rotation,
fickers as the model rotates beneath it. (I know, stop using 16bit
mode.. I just couldn't help it:)

I think this is another artifact of the GL_FRONT buffer problem on the
Macs.  Don't know why it's different in 16 bit mode.  Perhaps it's
because it has enough memory to allocate the triple buffered mode I
saw mentioned in some of the descriptions of this problem.  I suspect
the only way to fix this is to completely abandon writing in the front
buffer.  Can you try -n2 on the commandline (see the readme.txt file)
to see if it fixes this?  If not, how about -n4 instead?  These are
supposed to make it render in the back buffer instead.  However I
think they only work when you're not in LEDIT mode.

./ldglite100 -LE -v800,600 mini.dat
GL_VERSION = 1.1 ATI-1.2.22
[...]
GL_VENDOR ='ATI Technologies Inc.'
GL_RENDERER ='ATi Rage 128 Pro OpenGL Engine'
GL_RGBA_BITS: (8, 8, 8, 8)
GL_DEPTH_BITS = 24
GL_STENCIL_BITS = 8
Buffer Swap Mode = 0
Editing mode =  1{1}

LDGLite starts up with a jumbled window.
Grab window bar and move window. Window turns white, and nothing appears.
Press a view button (like 2) and terminal says

GL_VERSION = 1.1 APPLE-1.1
[...]
GL_VENDOR ='Apple'
GL_RENDERER ='Generic'
GL_RGBA_BITS: (8, 8, 8, 8)
GL_DEPTH_BITS = 32
GL_STENCIL_BITS = 8
Stencil buffer disabled for XOR with Apple driver.
Buffer Swap Mode = 0

and the model appears.

That's weird.  It sounds like GLUT doesn't call the reshape callback function
(which prints the GL_*** messages) until after you do something.  Is this just
a question of window focus?  Can you click in the window with the mouse or on
the title bar to get it to fix itself up?

Don