 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 440
Re: MBC 0.6.1 comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:43:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Andrew Allan wrote:
I stopped including the source, since I figured nobody was using it
and therefore it represented un-necessary bloat for people who
downloaded the program - if you want a copy, I'll gladly send you
one.

Actually, I'd prefer it if you just make a separate .sit (or zip) file
with source and put it in the same folder on the internet as the
executable program.  That way anybody can look at it.  You never know
when someone might come from nowhere and do something cool with it.

Disabling GL_LIGHTING I would have thought would have increased
speed at render time, however this would have to be traded against
the glDisable / glEnable command with each Type 2 line
intercepted. Certeanly for my predefined parts, I can do this in
batches, thus eliminating many glDisable / glEnable commands. And I
guess an intelligent approach to parsing the Ldraw parts could also
consider the lines in batches as Type 2 lines are often grouped.

I think I read somewhere that the first light is essentially free
with hardware opengl, as long as you don't use two sided lighting.

I also notice that since I render lines last and Ldraw ofthen
defines them first and I don't offset the lines, I get better speed,
but, due to using the less than command on the depth buffer, many
lines don't render completely.

Hmm, I never noticed any additional speed drop from doing this.

    // Nudge back the zbuffer values of surfaces so the hilited edges show.
    glEnable(GL_POLYGON_OFFSET_FILL);
    glPolygonOffset(1.0, 1.0);

You only have to do it once in your init function.  You should try it.

Don