 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 439
Re: MBC 0.61 comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:42:30 GMT

In article <HGzKpp.zI8@lugnet.com>,
"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Christopher Masi wrote:
The color of the lines was also somewhat angle dependent.

This is probably because MBC leaves lighting enabled when
rendering the edge lines.  Hmm, maybe it's time to ask for the
source because then we'd know for sure.

Well, maybe you would know for sure, but not me :)

Anyhow, I didn't like the way that looked in ldglite so I do a
glDisable(GL_LIGHTING) before drawing any lines.  This probably
contributes to the slower rendering speed of ldglite.  However
since MBC substitutes optimized parts for the dat files, perhaps
it wouldn't be as much of a performance hit because you can gather
all the edge line draws for a part into a single bundle.

Have fun,

Don

Just out of curiosity, disabling GL_Lighting before drawing lines is
slower because you still have to do lighting anyway, and if it isn't
GL_LIGTHING, then it is going to be slower?

I think you two should talk more. I think LDGLite looks better (model
wise), but MBC is the clear winner in terms of the ease with which it is
installed, and in terms of Mac like friendliness/ease of use :)

Chris