 CAD / Development / 9669
Re: Lpub find edges
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 01:06:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
You should note that the value for the line width is relative to the
resolution of the image, not relative to the size of the object being
rendered. So, if you render a brick that takes up almost all of the space in
your image, your line will appear thin relative to the brick, where if you
have a rendering of a brick that is very far from the camera, the line will
appear thick relative to the brick.

This is so very true, and troublesome.

POV-Ray does not support the concept of a line in 3D space, so L3P cannot
directly translate LDraw lines to POV-Ray entities.

Lars, at one point we talked about the possibility of having L3P use cylinders
as edge lines on parts.  Was there ever any effort made on this?

Well, I did some tests walking the tree and printing out all line type 2 as cylinders,
but I didn't think it looked to well.
Mostly because at some edges you only see 1/4 of the cylinder,
and at other edges you see 3/4 of the cylinder.

L3P doesn't walk the tree (yet), but I could add an option to L3Lab
to export a "POV cylinder file" that you could include in the L3P POV file.
It could even have support for line type 5 since the camera location is
in the POV file...
/Lars