 CAD / Development / 9578
9577  |  9579
Subject:
surface normals and vertex normals for OpenGL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 02:39:00 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hello,
I have some LDraw animation projects in mind and am starting by making a simple
viewer using OpenGL.  I have a program that will read a file and display it,
but I run into problems with the shading because it only does flat shading.  I
think I need to specify vertex normals to get smooth shading, but the LDraw
format doesn't lend itself to that kind of thing since the polygons are
specified independently and could be scattered throughout the file.  Are vertex
normals what I need, and is there a good way to calculate them for LDraw files?

When calculating surface normals I've run into some parts that get some strange
shading.  I'm guessing that it's because some polygons are CW and others are
CCW.  One particular file that I looked at (3626BPS4.DAT, minifig head with SW
grey beard) is not BFC, so it wouldn't be a surprise if they weren't consistent.
Assumming that that's the problem, is it necessary to go through the file
manually, polygon by polygon, to determine which way the normals should go and
whether they're consistent, or is there some way to automate that (or part of
it)?
Thanks,
Brian Durney