 CAD / Development / 92
91  |  93
Subject:
News-by-Mail digests
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:39:39 GMT

[Crossposted from lugnet.cad.dev; followups set to lugnet.admin.general]

talonts@vfaq.com (Tom Stangl) writes:
But can we set the l.c.d for a Digest?  I preferred the LCAD list in Digest
form, this Live Feed is driving me nuts.  I already get 100+ emails/day at
home, and 3-900/day at work.

glasnapd@db.erau.edu (Doug Glasnapp) writes:
Hi, one of the lurkers here.
Todd, is there any form of digest mode for any of the newsgroups?  If
not, is there one in the planning stages?  If so, I would be one to use
it, since i do all my mailing lists that way.

Questions:

Are any general-purpose (and free) mailing list services out there anywhere
on the net which spool up mailing lists for you send them to you at regular
intervals in digest form?

Digests are fairly straightforward design-wise for simple (pure) mailing
lists.  How would they work for newsgroups by mail with crossposting?  The
lugnet.com news-by-mail interface is smart enough currently to send you only
a single copy of a crossposted message if you receive all the groups by mail
to which the message is posted.  If there were digests on a per-group basis,
which group would a crossposted article go into? -- into only the first ng
listed in the 'Newsgroups' header, or into all ng's in the 'Newsgroups'
header?

Taking crossposting into consideration, would you prefer to receive digests
on a per-group basis or for all groups you're subscribed to all rolled into
a single digest?

If there were News-by-Mail digests, are client applications smart enough to
extract and retain the headers of individual messages properly?  I noticed a
few messages on the L-CAD mailing list a couple days ago which had really
annoying/confusing Subject lines such as:

   Subject: Re: L-CAD Digest - 5 Feb 1999 to 6 Feb 1999 (#1999-25)

Worse (much worse), the 'References' headers on the messages weren't set to
Message-ID's of the original articles by the original posters, but instead
to the Message-ID's of the messages containing the digest segments.
Broken!!  >%^E

Anyway, due to the technical obstacles mentioned above (which may or may not
actually be solvable), there is currently no digest mode in the planning
stages.  If enough people scream, however, and enough of the obstacles can
be overcome, then some form of planning could be started.

--Todd