 CAD / Development / 93
Re: News-by-Mail digests
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 06:51:34 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

Questions:

Taking crossposting into consideration, would you prefer to receive digests
on a per-group basis or for all groups you're subscribed to all rolled into
a single digest?

I'd much prefer them on a per-group basis, even if it means some duplicates
across several Digests.

If there were News-by-Mail digests, are client applications smart enough to
extract and retain the headers of individual messages properly?  I noticed a
few messages on the L-CAD mailing list a couple days ago which had really
annoying/confusing Subject lines such as:

   Subject: Re: L-CAD Digest - 5 Feb 1999 to 6 Feb 1999 (#1999-25)

Worse (much worse), the 'References' headers on the messages weren't set to
Message-ID's of the original articles by the original posters, but instead
to the Message-ID's of the messages containing the digest segments.
Broken!!  >%^E

I know of no client at all that can handle Digests in the way you want.  It
is up to the Digest owner to modify the Digest output to do this.  It will
require HTML-only Digests to do so, AFAIK.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/