 CAD / Development / 9027 (-10)
  Re: Mirrored parts and studs

(...) Umm, my math is really rusty. Can the sign of the determinant also be used to detect mirroring? That could be handy. Don (21 years ago, 2-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Thanks to all the parts developers

I just wanted to say thanks to Steve, Chris and all else that are involved with the developent, review and approval of the parts in the parts library. Programs can come and go, but without the parts library we'd have nothing. I think that the parts (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Mirrored parts and studs

(...) Wait a minute. Doesn't L3Input.cpp build a threaded tree structure before outputting a single POV part? I would think you could traverse the array Parts[0...nParts] and look for toplevel parts from the PARTS directory. Then for each toplevel (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Mirrored parts and studs

(...) My view is that there is nothing _serious_ wrong, but that a fix should be welcome. Anyway. Since we are only talking about studs, the rendering programs _could_ simply remember to fix any mirrored studs (can be done by multiplying the (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Mirrored parts and studs

(...) My only concern about letting the rendering programs do this is "how they know which way to orientate the logo". Coding this within the .dat file (either with a correctly orientated stud.dat or with metadata) is preferable to storing this (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Mirrored parts and studs

(...) And mine as well. If LDView can correct for this then so can any other program. The stud logos are a bonus feature offered by many programs but are not officailly supported by the LDraw spec. (...) This further supports my position on this (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Mirrored parts and studs

Just for kicks and grins.(not!) I'll throw in my $1.25 (...) This may have resurfaced because of the studs with logo files on my webpage. It was a quick thought I came up with a couple years ago. I guess I should remove them and any references to (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Mirrored parts and studs

(...) That is my opinion. The programs should be changed, rather than the parts. One thing to consider: even if we 'fix' all the part files so that all studs render non-mirrored logos, mirrored logos can still occur. For example, if someone created (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Mirrored parts and studs  [DAT]

(...) **snip** (...) Ah, the perennial question. During a past discussion of this very topic I offered what I thought to be a semi-workable option similar to #2 above, which I reiterate in the interest of further stirring the pot: We could redo the (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Mirrored parts and studs

(...) LDView does not have a problem with mirrored studs. (...) Right! See my posting (URL) Cobbs also explains it well in (URL) 2.) The part itself is flawed in that the studs are mirrored. We should redo (...) Though I acknowledge that L3P should (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact