 CAD / Development / 8814
Re: LDraw.org Standards Committee (LSC) Draft Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:26:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Willy Tschager writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney writes:

hi tim,

Another thing to note: The "LDraw" file format is set in stone, and it is
whatever LDraw/LEdit can use. The "LDraw.org" file format is extensible, and
based upon meta-commands. The goal here is to form a direction for the
extension of the LDraw.org file format, and define future standards and • formats.

could you please sort this out in more detail? does it mean that the
"Ldraw.org" file format will support, say 256 colors, no longer required to
put dithered colors in subfiles, "set in stone" BFC compliantcy, cond. lines • ...
new parts will have to stick to the new specs in order to get certified, but
what will happen to the already released files and the ones on the PT? will
the original part package be separated from Ldraw/Ledit?

I know this isn't the right place and especially no the right time, but I
feel very strongly about and hope to see some of this aspects sorted out as
early as possible and being part of the final proposal or the Ldraw.org
1.0.0 document.

I interpret the "set in stone" statement to refer to the language as defined in
027 version of LDraw/LEdit.  It is my belief that all the nuances (nucances :^)
you mentioned should be described in the 0.27 document.

The theory is that two people will document this, and that the 5-7 person
comittee will document everthing that has happened since 0.27 code was frozen.
The current thinking is that 1.0 version will document the meta-commands that
have been defined since then up to when version 1.0 of the document is frozen.

Where the LSC goes from there is up to the LSC as influenced by the LDraw
community.

The LSC should encourage this discussion, and should draw
ideas and suggestions from non-LSC members in the community, ensuring
everyone's voice is heard. However, the LSC shall be the only group that
votes on issues and creates standards.

fine!!!

LDraw.org Membership
--------------------
Defined, opt-in group of LDraw community participants who will have the
right to vote on resolutions put forward by the LDraw.org Leadership.

I had no problems understanding the difference between the Ldraw.org
Leadership and LSC membership and what's all about, although not being a
native speaker ;-), but I do not understand who these Ldraw.org members are?
Do THEY need to meet any requirements (part author, reviewer, programmer) in
order to elect the LSC members or is everyone invited?

They are a group that formed after James' death, to keep LDraw and its
community alive in honor of James, and because of the value of James'
inventions.

LDraw.org Members will be eligible to vote to ratify the document
if they themselves meet the requirements for membership in the LSC.

I'm not sure this is a good idea.  I think that only the LSC folks get to
vote.  If LDraw.org folks are LSC members, then they can vote, otherwise not.
I could see potential issues with a mechanism outlined above.  It empowers
LDraw.org members to vote, even though the community has not explicitly said
they can vote.

I guess I'm officially objecting to the above part of the specification.

Sounds reasonable, but is this also true for the election of LSC members?
Another Point. I'm not familiar with the technical aspects of such an
election but I guess one must register at Ldraw.org?

We've not hammered out the implementation of voting.

bye, willy

Kevin