 CAD / Development / 8410
Re: Calling all Meta-commands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:38:30 GMT

Kevin Clague wrote:
In thinking about this a bit more, I flashed on a quote from Yoda in one of the
Star Wars movies "Hard to see the future is"....

Ain't that the truth!

I've added some meta-commands to the name space that are certainly specific to
LPub and the creation of building instructions.  I've also thought about
namespace pollution.  I could see compressing many of these *new* meta-commands
under a single higher level meta-command, but I'd prefer to use something like
generic to the task like BI for "Building Instructions", than LPUB, which is a
specific Building Instruction tool.  It seems less ego-centric.  You never know
who might come along and create a better mouse trap.

This is kinda what I was proposing.

If you had known that the APP {appname} branch of the namespace was
open for any developer to use as he saw fit, but that other commands
needed more community buy in, you probably would ahve started off
with 0 APP LPUB commands.

Then the community probably would have said "hmmm. Seems like more
than one program might want to things like that. We should discuss
this some more. How about 0 INST foo X Y Z and 0 INST bar A B C?"

Then after some discussion, and input from many sides a more cohesive
set of commands could be arrived at that are truely designed for use
by multiple Apps. I'm not saying yours aren't (for all I know they
could be reused without modification) but many times things developed
for one app will have sideefects, or limitations that that apps
author never imagained, but which possibly could constrain another
developer.

I think that using higher level meta-commands that create name spaces for
higher level concepts is a good idea to restrict over-population (again,
pollution carries such negative connotations), but I'd like them to be specific
to a capability goal, rather than specific to an application that provides a
specific capability.

I aggree. I was trying to propse something where by a developer
could easily add commands and finish his app without needing a
lot of approval, and yet still allow the community to review and
massage the good ideas into a form that fits well with the existing
meta commands.

If James had put all of the meta-command he defined under the LDRAW
meta-command I just don't think it would look right to me.

Me niether... but then again isn't that what the 0 is? ;)
He could have used 6 or something else too.

-Kyle

--
                                    _