 CAD / Development / 8411
Re: Calling all Meta-commands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 21:09:08 GMT

Having read through this thread, I've seen a lot of good points made.
However, it also appears that people haven't really fully thought about the
implications of meta-commands.

It's very important to realize that meta-commands are presented as generic
.dat comments.  Some of the meta-commands that I have seen listed in this
thread don't reflect careful consideration of this fact.  (And, while it may
not be in this thread, the "0 FILE" MPD meta-command is arguably the worst
offender.)  When you choose a meta-command, it should be something that is
incredibly unlikely to be entered as a standard comment by someone.

For better or worse, we're now stuck with the orginal LDraw meta-commands,
and effectively stuck with the meta-commands that are already in use (for
BFC, MPD, etc).  But, if we're going to try to decide how define good
behavior for future meta-commands, I think we should come up with something
that guarantees that legitimate comments aren't mistaken for meta-commands.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)