 CAD / Development / 8407
Re: Calling all Meta-commands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:11:54 GMT

In thinking about this a bit more, I flashed on a quote from Yoda in one of the
Star Wars movies "Hard to see the future is"....

I've added some meta-commands to the name space that are certainly specific to
LPub and the creation of building instructions.  I've also thought about
namespace pollution.  I could see compressing many of these *new* meta-commands
under a single higher level meta-command, but I'd prefer to use something like
generic to the task like BI for "Building Instructions", than LPUB, which is a
specific Building Instruction tool.  It seems less ego-centric.  You never know
who might come along and create a better mouse trap.

I think that using higher level meta-commands that create name spaces for
higher level concepts is a good idea to restrict over-population (again,
pollution carries such negative connotations), but I'd like them to be specific
to a capability goal, rather than specific to an application that provides a
specific capability.

If James had put all of the meta-command he defined under the LDRAW
meta-command I just don't think it would look right to me.

Kevin

<snip>

I think that, with a little investigation, each command might be
identified as 'general purpose' or 'application specific.' I think
that haveing the app-specific ones prefixed with the appname (or
even 'APP {appname}') isn't such a bad idea.

Also I think that having some sort of community discussion on the
general purpose commands might be a good idea in order to also
help keep the namespace polution to a minimum. But by using the
'APP {appname}' prefix app authors could add whatever they wanted
while keeping the polution confinde to a small metacommand sandbox.
If some app-specific command were found to be useful to more than
one program, there isn't any reason it couldn't be 'promoted' to
the general purpose level and have the prefix stripped.

-Kyle