 CAD / Development / 8001
Re: Cylinder Primitive conditional lines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:23:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky writes:
I noticed that some of the fraction cylinder primitives (1-8, 2-4, 3-4, 3-8)
are missing a conditional line at one end.  The 1-4 cylinder has type 5
lines at both ends.  Is there any reason for the missing type 5 line?  If
so, why?  Is there any reason the missing type 5 line can't be added?  If
not, why?  If it is decided that the missing type 5 line can be added, I'm
willing to do the work. The reason I'm asking is that the missing type 5
line seems to be a frequent cause of hold votes on the PT lately.

There was a discussion on this very topic about 6-8 months ago.
Look here:

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=3369

and here:

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7170

I can't remember what the final result was because the sphere primitives
got involved.  I thought the answer was to put *different* type 5 lines
at the two ends.  These would continue straight out instead of following
the curve around the cylinder.  That way you could butt the cylinder
primitive up against a flat edge and the type 5 line wouldn't show.  But
if you butt two cylinder primitives together one of the two half angled
type 5 lines would show up, depending on your viewing direction.

I guess this never got implemented though, except maybe in the sphere
primitives.  Oh well.

Enjoy,

Don